- The History of the Dayton ASME Section -

 

 

The Dayton Section of the ASME was organized in 1926 by Earl S. Patch. The first officers for the Section were:

  • Chairman -Earl S. Patch
  • Secretary - W. J. Fogarty
  • Treasurer - E. E. Adams

Some prominent figures from our Section:

  • William A. Chryst
  • Richard G. Olt
  • Louis F. Polk
  • Ralph R. Teetor
  • Orville Wright

The Section had the privilege of presenting an Honorary Membership to Orville Wright, as he was reluctant to travel to New York headquarters for what would be an obviously big ceremony. Some of the most outstanding meetings over our past 70 years of service are:

  • Rockets, Gas Turbines and Jet Propulsion, October 1944, Dr. Lionel S. Marks
  • The Engineers' Part in Solving Post-War Management Problems, November 1945, Dr. Lillian M. Gilbreth

The attendance at these meetings taxed the capacity (400) of the Dayton Engineers Club. Some membership information follows:

  • 1939 - 81 members
  • 1978 - 453 members
  • 1996 - 670 members
  • 2002 - 700 plus members

Historical Landmarks

   The ASME History and Heritage Recognition Program began in September 1971.  To implement and achieve its goals, ASME formed a History and Heritage Committee, initially composed of mechanical engineers, historians of technology and curator (emeritus) of mechanical engineering at the Smithsonian Institute.  The Committee provides a public service by examining, noting, recording, and acknowledging mechanical engineering achievements of particular significance. The History and Heritage Committee is part of the ASME Council of Public Affairs and Board of Public Information.

   Since the ASME Historic Mechanical Engineering Recognition Program began in 1971, 170 Historical Mechanical Engineering Landmarks, 6 Mechanical Engineering Heritage Sites, and 6 Mechanical Engineering Heritage Collections have been recognized.  Each reflects its influence on society, either in its immediate locale, nationwide, or throughout the world.  An ASME landmark represents a progressive step in the evolution of mechanical engineering.  Site designations note an event or development of clear historical importance to mechanical engineers.  Collections mark the contributions of a number of objects with specific significance to the historical development of mechanical engineering.  The ASME Historical Mechanical Engineering Recognition Program illuminates our technology heritage and serves to encourage the preservation of the physical remains of historically important works.  It provides an annotated roster for engineers, students, educators, historians, and travelers.  It helps establish persistent reminders of where we have been and where we are going along the divergent paths of discovery.  Below are three such ASME designated Historical Landmarks located within the Dayton area: